Sunday, October 4, 2015

slow stitching

I have been away from my blog for a while...been busy, all good...but now that things are getting back to normal, I hope to get back to my blog.  I thought I'd begin with a relaxing project that is making me happy.  Why? Because I have had these vintage blocks for years and haven't known what to do with them.  Well, I decided to do some needle-turn appliqué and these vintage blocks make the perfect background!

I don't know about you, but I like to have some sort of "slow stitching" project handy.  This one is going to be fun.

I decided to cut out petals, and when I layed them out, it seemed that five were just enough.





My next step was basting the petals a little more than 1/4 inch away from the edge.



Now it was time for some slow stitching...in this case, needle-turn appliqué.


I plan to make a at least a dozen blocks, so my hope is that "practice makes perfect", and I will get more comfortable with my appliqué stitch as I go along : )

Here are two finished Petal blocks:



And of course, I had my helper at my side to occasionally play with the thread!


piece,
elizabeth






4 comments:

barbaradougherty126 said...

Love them, so pretty. :) I would love to learn how to do that. One day...

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Cute kittie, and fun blocks. I too love needle turn applique and it's the perfect hand work. I just finished my big hand work project (hand quilting) so this makes me think it's time to prep something needleturn...

OPQuilt said...

What a great idea to repurpose vintage blocks! I love the fabric you used--it really works well with the punch of the blue and white blocks. Excellent--like you, I like to have a hand-sewing project going, too!

Elizabeth E.

Marie at the Lazy W said...

That's going to be so pretty. I love having hand-projects available to stay busy when I am sitting, keeping someone company maybe. I'm not too practiced at slow stitching but you have tempted me to learn. Enjoy getting back to normal! xoxo