Wednesday, September 15, 2010

turning charms on point





Here are some pictures that I took while making a charm square quilt that I want to turn on point:

I started with 5 inch charm squares sewn in rows (8X12)

Then I cut a diagonal line and I sewed it to the top row as shown.









The arrows show the sewing line.

I cut another diagonal line and then sewed it to the row on the right and now the quilt charm squares are on point.  I will show this quilt again when I get it finished.  I haven't decided whether to stop now or add a couple borders.  So stay tuned : )

piece,

elizabeth

(Sorry about the picture placement and captions.  I am still learning how to post pictures and I have so much to learn.  That is one of the reasons that I began this blog, and that is to learn something new!)

12 comments:

Mary said...

very interesting...I have never seen placing blocks on point in this manner. Looks like fun!

Sara said...

That is a great idea and so much more appealing then the traditional way of putting blocks on point. Well done!!!!

Annmarie said...

Wow - I've never seen that done. I love charms & you just jput a whole new spin to them = thanks.

I got here thru the Fall Giveaway - checking out your blog. I like it!

Lori said...

Great idea! why make it harder than it needs to be! I'll have to try it this way.

elizabeth said...

This top measures 26" x 45" using 5" charm squares. I intend to add borders to this top. I have cut tops like this in half and then just added more borders until it is the size I want. They make nice baby quilts.

Brooke said...

Okay. Crazy simple, but I absolutely LOVE this idea. I am working on a patchwork right now for a friend with a brain tumor before she starts chemo. I chose patchwork because I want it done super quick for her. I'm going to do this!! What a way to "spice it up".

Thanks so much for sharing.

Oh, and I love the jewel tones in your batiks.

All Done said...

Love this method! Came here via your table runner and finish-it-up -Fridays at Crazy Mom Quilts!

Debbie Smith said...

One of our quilt guild members found your tutorial and shared it with our members. Thank you for sharing and helping others learn more quilting techniques. Such a neat idea!!!!

Debbie Smith said...

One of our quilt guild members saw your blog and shared your idea with our members. Thank you for being willing to share and help others learn more "shortcuts" and easy ways to make interesting quilts.

DangAndBlast! said...

You know, that should be totally basic and obvious, but I would never have thought of that... I'd have cut triangles and tried to piece them oddly... just goes to show, education can't make you smart! :)

Marilyn said...

Oh wow, this is amazing! I have to try it--thanks so much!

Sandi said...

Just came across this blog post. This is like my "Square-agonals" technique. I have two books and a line of patterns all using this easy on point technique. You can visit my web site www.stitchedbuy.com and also download my free pattern at;
https://sites.google.com/site/stitchedbuy/Home/free-square-agonals-quilt-pattern